Saturday, January 24, 2009

Introduction

I love gardening. When I was growing up in Oklahoma, we always had very large gardens. It wasn't so much fun then to pull weeds out of a half acre of things like green beans - which I don't like to this day - but I did pick up the gardening bug. Everywhere we have lived, even when we only had a tiny piece of green in a condo, I would grow a few tomatoes, squash, and jalapenos.

In June 2008 we moved to Texas and bought a place north of Dallas. There is a nice area south of the house that I decided to turn into a garden. I decided to read up on high-yield, organic techniques, so I bought How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible by John Jeavons. The book was quite an eye-opener for me, and I can see that my previous gardening techniques were very rudimentary. While I started learning to compost in Scotland last year, I had never used compost, peat moss, or any soil additives to my garden. I had never really dug beds up and loosened the soil. I was excited about the possibilities.

This blog will be a journal for me to review and see what went well, and what didn't. It is much easier for me to keep a blog and track my progress that way. Plus, I might learn something from people who know a lot more about this than I do. I am always open to tips and suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Followed your blog over from R-Squared. I'm new to North TX (Wylie) and looking to start a garden. I'm looking forward to learning from you.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete